Sunday, July 01, 2012

Brave 3D ***

Cast (voices): Kelly MacDonald, Billy Connolly, Emma Thompson, Julie Walters, Robbie Coltrane, Kevin McKidd, Craig Ferguson Director: Brenda Chapman, Mark Andrews
Running Length: 1:35
MPAA Classification: PG


Princess Merida (MacDonald) is strong-willed and a bit of a tomboy.  When suitors are lined up by her monther, Queen Elinor (Thompson), Merida takes control of the situation by one-upping all of the contenders.  Elinor is quite displeased, and tries to lay down the law, but Merida seeks outside help and soon finds the situation out of control as her mother is turned into a bear.  To make matters worse, King Fergus (Connolly), who has some bad history with bears and is unaware of the transfermation, is on the hunt.

Brave is Pixar's first foray into the fantasy realm, and it is a bit of a misfire (for them).  It plays like a Disney princess movie, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but Pixar has always been better than this.  While the story has something to say about mothers and daughters, it is ultimately middle of the road for them.  I don't know what I wanted from Brave, but it definately was something more.  Visually, Brave is beautiful.  They have set the computer-generated animation bar a bit higher here, but that is to be expected.  The voice talent all do excellent jobs as well.

I think that ultimately this film will play well, but it is a bit of a step down from their recent efforts.  Like I said, a good movie in general, but slightly below par by Pixar standards.  Maybe I am just too picky when it comes to their movies, but I have come to expect a little more from them.  The short before the film, "La Luna" was cute, and about on par for the shorts they have placed before their features.

Lastly, I saw this in 3D, mostly to get in to an earlier show time.  Is 3D necessary for Brave?  Not really, but it doesn't take away from the film either, as it is done well.  Either a 2D or a 3D viewing should give about the same experience.

1 comment:

Nik said...

Im a big Pixar fan and when I saw this preview I was like "Dreamworks! Oh, wait. Pixar???" It did not strike me as one I wanted to see.