Tuesday, February 01, 2005

The Phantom of the Opera **1/2
Cast: Gerard Butler, Emmy Rossum, Patrick Wilson, Miranda Richardson, Minnie Driver, Ciaran Hinds, Simon Callow
Director: Joel Schumacher
Running Length: 2:23
MPAA Classification: PG-13

Andrew Lloyd Webber's immensely popular musical is finally given the movie treatment, and to moderate success. Christine (Rossum) it taking singing lessons from the Phantom (Butler) at the opera house where she is a performer. She is still learning, but when the Phantom is done with her, she will be ready for the big time. The Phantom, when not teaching Christine, lurks around and beneath the Opera House, hiding his scarred face. He loves Christine, but fears her rejection.

With the arrival of Raoul (Wilson), a childhood sweetheart of Christine, the Phanton finds that he has waited too long, and Christine's heart has already been taken. The jealous Phantom of the Opera then decides to take revenge.

Let me say that I am not a huge fan of musicals. I have a problem with people spontaneously bursting into song, and that somewhat colors my review. I found "Moulin Rouge" and to a lesser degree "Chicago", the two most recent cinematic forays into the musical, to be superior, especially in terms of songs. Nothing stands out to me as being remarkable in "Phantom", although I do thing the actors try their hardest.

Emily Rossum is the standout in this otherwise unknown cast. I cannot help but think that a few bigger names might have helped things along somewhat. Joel Schumacher, the man responsible for the downfall of the "Batman" franchise, crafts a beautiful looking movie. It looks so good that I wanted to like the movie more than I did.

Acknowledging that this is probably a better movie than I think, here is my qualified review: if you like the stage version of this, or musicals in general, you will enjoy "Phanton" quite a bit. If you do not care for musicals, stay away. Simple as that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

loved the movie - but mike is right (btw, another typo dear). if you don't like musicals, skip this!
beautiful story, haunting music - i didn't want it to end (although i do believe mike felt otherwise).