Thursday, April 28, 2005

Kung Fu Hustle **1/2

Cast: Stephen Chow, Yuen Wah, Yuen Qui, Leung Siu Lung, Shengyi Huang
Director: Stephen Chow
Running Length: 1:35
MPAA Classification: PG-13

In Shanghai, in the 1930s, everything is controlled by the Axe Gang. Well, everything except the slums. There is no profit in the slums. Sing (Chow) wants to take advantage of this, and when he arrives at Pigsty Alley playing the role of an Axe Gang member, his performance is so bad that nobody believes him. Then some real members of the gang arrive, and Sing is in trouble. To add to that, there are some kung fu masters hiding in Pigsty Alley, and they are not too thrilled with the gang making an appearance in their little town.

I can honsetly say I have never seen a movie quite like "Kung Fu Hustle". It is a strange hybrid of a kung fu movie, a slapstick comedy, and even a little Road Runner/Looney Toones. It is really funny at times, but the humor is a bit uneven. The biggest drawback to this film is the subtitles. I prefer this to dubbing, but I think that some of the humor is lost, having to read them.

Apparently Stephen Chow is second in popularity in China only to Jackie Chan. He has yet to really make a name for himself here in America, but there definately is potential. He writes, directs, stars, and produces this movie, so this movie is definately his. If you are looking for something a little different to see, "Kung Fu Hustle" just may be the movie for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there, ZOOF, I thought your this post blog was great with good comments. Awesome. Nice Blog. online home businessl .

Anonymous said...

Hi there ZOOF. I was searching for the latest information on online home business and somehow, which I don't understand, found your site. Although this post wasn't what I was interested in, I'm sure glad I found your site. I'll keep on looking for online home business but I just had to comment on how much I enjoyed reading the comments here. online home business I bookmarked your site.